Do you ever feel overwhelmed? Like the world expects just way too much out of you? Like you need to clone yourself to get everything done?
I mean, you’ve got sports practices and games, Co-ops, community clean-ups, Room mom volunteering, class parties, PTO, Parent Teacher conferences, birthday parties, Booster Club, luncheons, bridal showers, baby showers, weddings, pot-lucks, field-trips, church volunteering, Charity races, food drives, bake sales…
and don’t even get me started on the crafts, home decor, home remodeling, couponing, date-nights, Girls’ night outs, photobook creating, hair styles, beauty hacks, not yelling at your kids, and exercising that Pinterest makes you believe all women do simultaneously and effortlessly.
*Sigh* It’s too much. Right, ladies?
How Using One Simple Word Can Help You Be Happier
If I said “Yes” to every blessed thing that came along, I am positive I would wind up in the hospital for exhaustion and dehydration!
But, I am guilty of sometimes getting in this default “yes” mode because I want to help other people out or because I want to achieve some ideal.
Then I get myself into situations where I feel obligated to do something and I end up hating it and resenting the people I am supposed to be helping.
That’s when it’s time to get your S.A.D.D kid from the 90’s on, and just say NO.
Get in a default “No” mode and only say yes when you REALLY MEAN IT by following these 3 steps:
- Set your priorities. What is important to you? What are your goals? Consider your season of life at this time. What is it you feel your focus should be? This gives yourself permission to only do what is necessary and what you love. Everything that is not a part of your priorities gets tossed.
- Drop the positions and commitments you hold that interfere with your true priorities. Explain to the other people involved that your life is taking you in a different direction and you are no longer able to help.
- Stop saying yes to new opportunities, UNLESS they align with your priorities. Remind yourself that your time is precious and you are being mindful about how you spend it. You want to do things out of love, not obligation.
Now you can begin spending more of your time on the things in your life that truly matter to you.
You will be able to stand up for yourself and not help out every person or organization that comes your way (without feeling guilty)
Struggling with the words? Here are 13 different tactful ways to say no:
- No. Sorry.
- I’m sorry, but I can’t at this time.
- No. I’m already maxed out as it is.
- I can’t this time, but please ask me next time around.
- I really can’t. I’m sorry.
- I can’t commit to anything else right now.
- I would want to give 100% to this, but I don’t have the time right now to devote to it.
- Thank you for the offer, but I must decline.
- I’d love to help in some other, smaller way.
- I’ll have to pass, thank you.
- Let me think about it and I will get back to you (then call to decline if you feel pressured in person)
- Now is not a good time for me.
- I appreciate you thinking of me, but I can’t at this time.
Do you want to further define your priorities so you can put what matters most to you first? Then I invite you to download the “Dreams to Reality goal planning guide for busy moms.” It is included in the Printables Library which is FREE to subscribers.
It is the ultimate guide to helping you define what is worth your time.
You will find brainstorming questions like these:
If I could have done something differently last year, what would it have been?
What do I feel is my calling in life? How could I do better to fulfill it?
When in my life have I been the most happy? What was I doing?
and goal-vetting scenarios like these:
Can I picture myself after I have accomplished this goal? How do I feel or what is
better about life?
Will this fit in with my current duties, responsibilities, and priorities in my life? Why
or why not? If not, could I work on some small part of it in preparation to do more?
Could I eliminate any of the challenges to this goal? If not, what will I specifically do
to overcome it? Am I willing and able to make these adjustments? Could someone
help me? Who?
and step-by-step ways to make your life better by teaching you how to implement your goals into your life, from fulfilling your biggest dreams, to forming better daily habits that will fill your life with purpose and joy.
Get it for free by entering your info below:
When you focus your priorities on what matters most to you, great things and great love will be spread from your small actions.
What is your top priority? Let us know in the comments!